The Scholar class is an Intelligence based non-spellcaster class that lets D&D players take on the role of tactical geniuses, medical prodigies, and savants of all stripes. Previously on the Sterling Vermin we were careful to spend time honing the first 5 levels and our last version took the class up to level 10. Today’s update brings the Scholar class up to level 14 and gives us one last shot at making whatever fine tuning we need to do to the early levels before we have a full 1 – 20 version.
If this is your first time seeing the Scholar, you should check it out now!
the Scholar, Levels 1 – 14
EDIT: You can now find the final version of the Scholar class on the DM’s Guild by following the link below!
If you’ve been following the Scholar from previous updates you may notice some of the following changes or additions:
- The Scholar Hit Dice has been changed from d8s to d6s. This was not a balance concern but done for flavor reasons.
- The Critical Analysis feature was renamed to Sage Advice and the old Sage Advice is now gone. This was one because a reader pointed out that they were thematically very similar abilities and I agreed. The 2nd level was a bit feature heavy anyway.
- Quick Study was moved from 4th to 6th. I thought there was precedence for gaining a feature along with the Ability Score Improvement at 4th level but looking back through the PHB recently I realized there wasn’t. Plus it’s a good fit for 6th level.
- Iron Will was moved to 7th as a result of Quick Study moving to 6th.
- Both Field of Studies have features that underwent some changes for balance purposes. Both Field of Studies also got new 14th level features.
- Analytical Assault is new and continues the Scholar’s damage scaling to match other classes.
- The Expansive Intellect feature is new and I’d love feedback on it.
If you’re new to the Sterling Vermin and like what you’ve read here today we hope you’ll consider subscribing to our subreddit, following us on twitter, and most importantly supporting us on Patreon. If the Scholar got you excited about the kinds of content the Sterling Vermin Adventuring Co. produces you can see some of the player options we’ve already made available on the DM’s Guild here, including our popular streetfighting class, the Pugilist, and our spellslinging swordswinging class, the Magus.