Pucker up, buttercups!
The 2nd revision of the pugilist is in bringing nearly as dramatic of changes as the first revision brought to the original! Here are some of the highlights of the biggest changes that have made in the 2nd revision:
- The pugilist went from a d12 Hit Dice and having the Unarmored Defense feature to a d8 Hit Dice and not having the Unarmored Defense feature. Have I gone mad!? Maybe. I’m debating giving them back their d12 HD or at least a d10.
- You can now spend Moxie to gain temporary hit dice as a bonus action AND you get Moxie back whenever you lose hit points. These changes in combination with one another means that the pugilist’s defense is now very active and he gets to play to offense or defense but not really both at the same time.
- The Bloodied but Unbowed level dependent features switched places so the pugilist wasn’t the heaviest hitter in the game at level 3.
- Dig Deep is another defensive tool the pugilist has now though it comes at a steep price.
- Haymaker got a new ability so it’s not just a copy-and-pasted monk ability. Yay! Again it plays into the pugilist’s active offense / active defense divide.
- The Sweet Science archetype was heavily revised so as to be the baddest mother around and not far and away the baddest mother beyond any bad mother that’s ever mothered badly.
So if you’ve got nothing better to do this Valentine’s Day,
let the pugilist sock you right on the kisser.
Hey there! If you’re just reading this for the first time, or you’re reading it again, you will be happy to know that the full version of the Pugilist class is now available as a Pay What You Want product on DM’s Guild! Older versions of the class have been removed from the blog to comply with the rules regarding content posted to the DM’s Guild – you can find the full class here!
And don’t forget, if you love the pugilist you can become a Patreon backer for only $1 a month to get exclusive content! Pledge $5 or more and you’ll get access to pugilist changes before they go public and you’ll get to vote on the final three pugilist archetypes!